Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Seventy (Two)


Thursday of the Twenty sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Readings for Thursday of the 26th Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1 Jb 19:21-27

Responsorial Psalm Ps 27:7-8a, 8b-9abc, 13-14
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

Gospel Lk 10:1-12

Reflection:

Today we hear the account of Jesus sending out the seventy two disciples. Whenever I hear this story I am reminded of a passage of a document from one of the early Church Fathers Eusebius of Caesarea (c. 265-c. 340). Eusebius wrote a history of the Church from Christ to Constantine and among the pages of his first volume I discovered the passage I have quoted below. I know it is a bit lengthy for a quote, but is gave me a shot of faith when once I needed it. So, rather than reflect further on the readings of today, I give you the story of Thaddeus, one of the seventy two.

Copy of an epistle written by Abgarus the ruler to Jesus, tend sent to him at Jerusalem by Ananias the swift courier.

6 "Abgarus, ruler Of Edessa, to Jesus the excellent Savior who has appeared in the country of Jerusalem, greeting. I have heard the reports of thee and of thy cures as performed by thee without medicines or herbs. For it is said that thou makest the blind to see and the lame to walk, that thou cleansest lepers and castest out impure spirits and demons, and that thou healest those afflicted with lingering disease, and raisest the dead.

7 And having heard all these things concerning thee, I have concluded that one of two things must be true: either thou art God, and having come down from heaven thou doest these things, or else thou, who doest these things, art the Son of God.

8 I have therefore written to thee to ask thee that thou wouldest take the trouble to come to me and heal the disease which I have. For I have heard that the Jews are murmuring against thee and are plotting to injure thee. But I have a very small yet noble city which is great enough for us both."

The answer of Jesus to the ruler Abgarus by the courier Ananias.

9 "Blessed art thou who hast believed in me without having seen me. For it is written concerning me, that they who have seen me will not believe in me, and that they who have not seen me will believe and be saved. But in regard to what thou hast written me, that I should come to thee, it is necessary for me to fulfill all things here for which I have been sent, and after I have fulfilled them thus to be taken up again to him that sent me. But after I have been taken up I will send to thee one of my disciples, that he may heal thy disease and give life to thee and thine."

10 To these epistles there was added the following account in the Syriac language. "After the ascension of Jesus, Judas, who was also called Thomas, sent to him Thaddeus, an apostle, one of the Seventy. When he was come he lodged with Tobias, the son of Tobias. When the report of him got abroad, it was told Abgarus that an apostle of Jesus was come, as he had written him.

11 Thaddeus began then in the power of God to heal every disease and infirmity, insomuch that all wondered. And when Abgarus heard of the great and wonderful things which he did and of the cures which he performed, he began to suspect that he was the one of whom Jesus had written him, saying, `After I have been taken up I will send to thee one of my disciples who will heal thee.' [1]

Let us follow in the steps of those seventy two and bring Christ to places he has not been before.

Pax
[1] Translated by the Rev. Arthur Cushman McGiffert Excerpted from Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Series Two, Volume 1 Edited by Philip Schaff and Henry Wace American Edition, 1890 Online Edition Copyright © 2004 by K. Knight

No comments: