Monday, April 21, 2008

Monday of the Fifth Week of Easter


Saint Anselm of Canterbury, Bishop, Doctor

Readings for Monday of the Fifth Week of Easter[1][2]
Readings from the Jerusalem Bible

Commentary:

Reading 1 Acts 14:5-18

Again today, I cannot do better than the footnote on this selection: “In an effort to convince his hearers that the divine power works through his word, Paul cures the cripple. However, the pagan tradition of the occasional appearance of gods among human beings leads the people astray in interpreting the miracle. The incident reveals the cultural difficulties with which the church had to cope. Note the similarity of the miracle worked here by Paul to the one performed by Peter in
Acts 3:2-10.”

Responsorial Psalm Psalm 115:1-2, 3-4, 15-16
R. Not to us, O Lord, but to your name give the glory.

In this hymn of praise, we are again reminded the difference between God and idol as the song contrasts idolatry (“Their idols are silver and gold, the handiwork of men.”) with the Lord (“Our God is in heaven; whatever he wills, he does.”) It is a nice support to the reading from Acts.

Gospel John 14:21-26

We pick up the Lords dialogue with his disciples right after he has first promised to send the Holy Spirit (the new advocate – the Paraclete). He now reinforces that promise with a summation of his great commandment and then completes our understanding of the Holy Trinity with; “The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name--he will teach you everything and remind you of all that (I) told you.”

The Father and the Son are one and in the Name of the Son the Holy Spirit now remains with us.

Reflection:

Pentecost is still three weeks away and we are introduced to the New Advocate. Our focus in this Easter season is still on Christ Risen but since the Holy Trinity cannot be divided we are reminded of its presence today. It was the Gift he left us. It is the one we depend upon day by day to help us move toward the great ideal he left us.

I am reminded of a time when I went to a funeral home to do a Vigil Service. Because of other family commitments I was forced to take one of my teenage children with me. What makes this event memorable is that when I had finished the service and we were driving home, my daughter asked me; “Dad, where did you find the words to comfort people in that situation?” The question completely surprised me because I had not even thought about it, and worse, thinking back at that moment, I could not remember what I had said. It was then that I realized that sacramental grace had jumped up and taken my service where it needed to go. All I furnished was a “warm body” mine, and a will to do what God wanted, for his greater glory.

The answer I gave my daughter was not very satisfying. I think I said something like “I guess the Holy Spirit just helped out.” But there were no more questions so I guess that did the trick. The point of my anecdote is that the Lord sends his Holy Spirit to each of us. It is given in Baptism and strengthened by sacramental grace given in other forms as well (Eucharist, Reconciliation, Marriage, and Confirmation). All we need to do is relax and pray for God’s assistance, through His Son and it will be there.

Pax

[1] After Links to Readings Expire
[2] The image today “Disputation over the Trinity” by Andrea del Sarto, 1517

1 comment:

niaodian said...

...Disputation over the Trinity...