Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fifth Sunday of Lent


Readings for Fifth Sunday of Lent [1][2]
Readings from the Jerusalem Bible

Readings and Commentary:
[3]

Reading 1:
Jeremiah 31:31-34

The days are coming, says the LORD,
when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel
and the house of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers
the day I took them by the hand
to lead them forth from the land of Egypt;
for they broke my covenant,
and I had to show myself their master, says the LORD.
But this is the covenant that I will make
with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD.
I will place my law within them and write it upon their hearts;
I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
No longer will they have need to teach their friends and relatives
how to know the LORD.
All, from least to greatest, shall know me, says the LORD,
for I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Jer 31:31-34

This passage is called by scripture scholars “Jeremiah’s Spiritual Testament”
[4]. In his announcement of the “New Covenant” he condenses his entire message into these few words. While in his day he is speaking to the returning exiles about the re-establishment of the relationship with God, it can also be seen as predictive of the messianic covenant. This is especially clear given the language in the final verse regarding forgiveness “All, from least to greatest, shall know me, says the Lord, for I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sin no more.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responsorial Psalm:
Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13, 14-15

R. (12a) Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.
R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.
R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
Give me back the joy of your salvation,
and a willing spirit sustain in me.
I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners shall return to you.
R. Create a clean heart in me, O God.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Ps 51:3-4, 12-13, 14-15

Psalm 51 provides a call to repentance. “A lament, the most famous of the seven Penitential Psalms, prays for the removal of the personal and social disorders that sin has brought.”
[5] We acknowledge our sinfulness and vow to return to the grace of God.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading II:
Hebrews 5:7-9

In the days when Christ Jesus was in the flesh,
he offered prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears
to the one who was able to save him from death,
and he was heard because of his reverence.
Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered;
and when he was made perfect,
he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Heb 5:7-9

This is an important passage from the standpoint of understanding the call to ministry, especially the Priesthood. In an extended form, it is frequently used at ordinations and provides an understanding of what it means to be called to a vocation. This selection continues with Christ’s own call. The author does an excellent job of capturing Christ’s humanity in this description.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gospel:
John 12:20-33

Some Greeks who had come to worship at the Passover Feast
came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee,
and asked him, "Sir, we would like to see Jesus."
Philip went and told Andrew;
then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus.
Jesus answered them,
"The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.
Amen, amen, I say to you,
unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies,
it remains just a grain of wheat;
but if it dies, it produces much fruit.
Whoever loves his life loses it,
and whoever hates his life in this world
will preserve it for eternal life.
Whoever serves me must follow me,
and where I am, there also will my servant be.
The Father will honor whoever serves me.
"I am troubled now. Yet what should I say?
'Father, save me from this hour'?
But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour.
Father, glorify your name."
Then a voice came from heaven,
"I have glorified it and will glorify it again."
The crowd there heard it and said it was thunder;
but others said, "An angel has spoken to him."
Jesus answered and said,
"This voice did not come for my sake but for yours.
Now is the time of judgment on this world;
now the ruler of this world will be driven out.
And when I am lifted up from the earth,
I will draw everyone to myself."
He said this indicating the kind of death he would die.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Jn 12:20-33

St. John leads us to understand how Jesus’ mission expands from one directed to Israel expands to include all peoples of all nations. It begins with the Greeks asking for Jesus (in this case “Greeks” likely means Greek speaking gentiles). It is significant that this request is made of Philip (and the Andrew) the only two of the Twelve bearing Greek names.

Jesus response to this request “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified” implies that only after his crucifixion could the Gospel encompass everyone. He then goes on to educate his disciples about the mystery of his atoning death. He uses the metaphor of the grain of wheat found in the other Gospel traditions (see
Mark 8:35; Matthew 16:25; Luke 9:24; Matthew 10:39; Luke 17:33). When the Evangelist follows this with the statement that “Who ever loves his life loses it…” it is understood that the reference is to body and spirit since the Hebrews at this point did not recognize the separation of the two. The statement leads into and exhortation that those who follow Jesus (“Whoever serves me”) must accept the same defamatory treatment.

The Lord’s lament (“I am troubled…”) seems to interrupt this discourse; however, the narrative comes closest to the agony in the garden found in the other Gospels. Jesus, faced with a cruel and imminent death feels the anguish of his human fear. His petition (“Yet what should I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'?”), followed by acceptance (in this instance “But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour”) echoes the sentiment of complete acceptance of the Father’s will and justifies the Lord’s request that he be glorified by Him.

The discourse concludes with God’s answer to Jesus’ plea; understood only by Jesus. Those who heard and did not understand are informed by Jesus that the events that will unfold will open the gates to the judgment seat of God. Again the use of the term “lifted up” conveys the duel meaning of lifted up upon the cross in the crucifixion and raised to glory in the resurrection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection:

We enter the fifth week of Lent and the culmination of our fast is nearly in sight. Ironically the events taking place in the Gospel story from St. John happen during the middle of next week – Holy Week. The passage takes us through a flurry of concepts and emotions. He speaks first of the universal mission of the Messiah. When the gentiles approach Philip and he and Andrew in turn approach Jesus (without the gentiles present – symbolically indicating that it will only be after Jesus’ death that the mission is expanded to include all human kind) the Lord launches into his beautiful discourse about the necessity for his passion and death, equating it to the grain of wheat which falls to earth and springs up to new life.

He strengthens this metaphor which is shared in all of the Gospel accounts; telling his disciples that “Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me.” He lets them know that the road will not be an easy one. But, the effort they employ will be rewarded by the Father.

We are then provided with Jesus’ passionate plea to His Father. He clearly sees the road ahead and knows what is coming. He would be less than human if the prospect of his passion and death did not cause him to ask that it be taken from him (although in St. John’s account this request is coached in terms indicating the Lord has already accepted the necessity of the events that follow). Jesus’ acceptance does not reduce the emotion we feel in the Lord.

Finally, his acceptance and prayer complete, the Father answers his Son – He, the Lord God, is pleased with his Son’s fidelity and bravery in the face of the passion to come. He has loved him and now will glorify him further; giving to him all the praise and glory that heaven can offer.

The passage concludes with Jesus saying it is time. All that he came to do; all the seeds he had come to plant have been planted. The earth has been plowed now must he become wheat and die so that all his creation might have access to God’s saving power.

For us this story is almost premature. We still have a week to go before we plunge into the events of Holy Week and see that dreadful story once more unfold before the Messiah. This foretaste of what is to come drives us to accelerate our own preparations, inwardly readying our selves to accept the great sacrifice and rejoice in its offer of eternal life.

We pray for our own resolve this week. May we to whom such a wondrous sacrifice was made, do as the Lord asked his friends and follow his example and bring God’s peace to all those we meet.

Pax

ALTRE
[2] The picture used is “Christ as Savior” by El Greco, 1600
[3] Text of Readings is taken from the New American Bible, Copyright © Libreria Editrice Vaticana, Excerpts from the English translation of The Roman Missal © 1973, International Committee on English in the Liturgy, Inc. All rights reserved.
[4] See Jerome Biblical Commentary, Prentice Hall, Inc., © 1968, pp.327, 89.
[5] See NAB footnote on Psalm 51

No comments: