Monday, March 29, 2010

Tuesday of Holy Week


Tuesday of Holy Week

Readings for Tuesday of Holy Week[1][2]
Readings from the Jerusalem Bible

Readings and Commentary:
[3]

Reading 1:
Isaiah 49:1-6

Hear me, O islands,
listen, O distant peoples.
The Lord called me from birth,
from my mother's womb he gave me my name.
He made of me a sharp-edged sword
and concealed me in the shadow of his arm.
He made me a polished arrow,
in his quiver he hid me.
You are my servant, he said to me,
Israel, through whom I show my glory.

Though I thought I had toiled in vain,
and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength,
Yet my reward is with the Lord,
my recompense is with my God.
For now the Lord has spoken
who formed me as his servant from the womb,
That Jacob may be brought back to him
and Israel gathered to him;
And I am made glorious in the sight of the Lord,
and my God is now my strength!
It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant,
to raise up the tribes of Jacob,
and restore the survivors of Israel;
I will make you a light to the nations,
that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Is 49:1-6

This is the second of the four “Servant of the Lord” oracles from Isaiah. It is easy to see from the opening paragraph why the Jews of Jesus’ time, familiar with Deutero-Isaiah, may have thought Jesus to be a Prophet. The prophet’s self identification is prophetic of the Christ. The “servant” is prepared for the work to be done and sent, not only to bring Israel back to the Lord but the entire world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responsorial Psalm:
Psalm 71:1-2, 3-4a, 5ab-6ab, 15 and 17

R. (see 15ab) I will sing of your salvation.

In you, O LORD, I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame.
In your justice rescue me, and deliver me;
incline your ear to me, and save me.
R. I will sing of your salvation.

Be my rock of refuge,
a stronghold to give me safety,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked.
R. I will sing of your salvation.

For you are my hope, O Lord;
my trust, O God, from my youth.
On you I depend from birth;
from my mother's womb you are my strength.
R. I will sing of your salvation.

My mouth shall declare your justice,
day by day your salvation.
O God, you have taught me from my youth,
and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds.
R. I will sing of your salvation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Ps 71:1-2, 3-4a, 5ab-6ab, 15 and 17

Psalm 71 is an individual lament. In this section we hear a profession of faith in the saving power of God. In the third strophe we also find a link to the “Servant of the Lord” in Isaiah. In both cases the servant is known by God and prepared for his service from the womb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gospel:
John 13:21-33, 36-38

Reclining at table with his disciples, Jesus was deeply troubled and testified,
"Amen, amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me."
The disciples looked at one another, at a loss as to whom he meant.
One of his disciples, the one whom Jesus loved,
was reclining at Jesus' side.
So Simon Peter nodded to him to find out whom he meant.
He leaned back against Jesus' chest and said to him,
"Master, who is it?"
Jesus answered,
"It is the one to whom I hand the morsel after I have dipped it."
So he dipped the morsel and took it and handed it to Judas,
son of Simon the Iscariot.
After Judas took the morsel, Satan entered him.
So Jesus said to him, "What you are going to do, do quickly."
Now none of those reclining at table realized why he said this to him.
Some thought that since Judas kept the money bag, Jesus had told him,
"Buy what we need for the feast,"
or to give something to the poor.
So Judas took the morsel and left at once. And it was night.

When he had left, Jesus said,
"Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself,
and he will glorify him at once.
My children, I will be with you only a little while longer.
You will look for me, and as I told the Jews,
'Where I go you cannot come,' so now I say it to you."

Simon Peter said to him, "Master, where are you going?"
Jesus answered him,
"Where I am going, you cannot follow me now,
though you will follow later."
Peter said to him,
"Master, why can I not follow you now?
I will lay down my life for you."
Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for me?
Amen, amen, I say to you, the cock will not crow
before you deny me three times."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Jn 13:21-33, 36-38

We pick up the story of the final hours of Jesus’ time with the disciples following the washing of their feet. First we hear of Judas’ departure from the table to betray the Lord. We note with interest St. John’s use of imagery as Judas is lead by the devil to his actions; “So Judas took the morsel and left at once. And it was night.” Then we are told of Jesus’ discourse with Peter and his prediction of Peter’s denial. Again we see in the description not only the Lord’s prediction of his own death but also the indication that Peter would follow him in death for God’s greater glory.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection:

The betrayal of Judas sets the stage for all that takes place during Holy Week. Like a game of Chess superbly played, Jesus sets up his own sacrifice as he allows Judas to do what must be done. He did not induce Judas to betray him, but that betrayal must happen if final victory is to be achieved.

Judas is not, as some literature would have us believe, an unwitting dupe in this saga. Judas was called, just as Peter, just as the disciple Jesus loved. Judas was loved just as all of Jesus’ closest friends were loved. However, at some point a flaw in his character rose to the surface. It could have been, as some have suggested, that he felt the only way to force Jesus to take up the mantle of the Royal Messiah was to put him in harms way. If Judas was a Zealot, this would have made sense because the Zealots wanted to throw off the Roman yoke of domination through any means possible.

Judas’ betrayal could also have been a result of pure greed, as the Gospel of St. John suggests when the Lord was in the house of Lazarus; “…he [Judas] was a thief and held the money bag and used to steal the contributions.” Although thirty pieces of silver, the supposed price he was paid for the betrayal seemed rather low for such a deed.

The leaver pulled by Satan that turned Judas will never be known. It died with him when he too fulfilled the Lord’s prophecy when he said; “but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born." (
Matthew 26:24) What becomes clear is that as in all wicked actions, there was one who had been cast out of the Heavenly Kingdom who was cheering him on, making it sound like the right thing to do.

For us, as we reflect upon Judas’ deed and how events will unfold as a consequence, we pray fervently that we will have the strength to always be faithful to Christ and never fall into betrayal as Judas who was from that moment accursed throughout history and indeed all time.

Pax


[1] ALTRE
[2] The picture used is “Last Supper” by Pieter Pourbus, 1548
[3] Text of Readings is taken from the New American Bible, Copyright © Libreria Editrice Vaticana, Excerpts from the English translation of The Roman Missal © 1973, International Committee on English in the Liturgy, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments: