Saturday, September 05, 2015

Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time


Catechism Links 
[1]
CCC 1503-1505: Christ the Physician
CCC 1151-1152: signs used by Christ; sacramental signs
CCC 270-271: the mercy of God


 
“Jesus Heals the Deaf Man” 
by Alexandre Bida, 1850’s
 
 
Readings and Commentary:[4]
 
 
Commentary on Is 35:4-7a
 
This joyous outburst from the Prophet looks forward to the restoration of those exiled (similar in tone to Isaiah 40:1:11).  The oracle sees the time of salvation marked by events traditionally associated with the predicted arrival of the Messiah.  The passage is quoted or paraphrased in both St. Matthew’s Gospel at Matthew 11:5ff and in St. Mark’s Gospel at Mark 7:37 in both cases seeing in the oracle proof of messianic fulfillment in Jesus.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 146:7, 8-9, 9-10
 
R. (1b) Praise the Lord, my soul!
or:
Alleluia.
 
Commentary on Ps 146:7, 8-9, 9-10
 
In this hymn of praise we find the historical view of God’s attributes as envisioned by the Hebrew people.  The psalmist catalogues the mercy of God’s salvation (sight to the blind, raises those who were bowed down (the oppressed)) using imagery borrowed by the Prophets and much later by Gospel authors as well.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading II: James 2:1-5
 
Commentary on Jas 2:1-5
 
In these verses the author warns the Christian community not to discriminate or to show favoritism based upon social status.  This kind of behavior, we are told, violates God’s law and is an affront to all the values for which Lord Jesus stands.  The Apostle also reminds the community that the poor and marginalized receive great rewards in God’s Kingdom.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gospel: Mark 7:31-37
 
Commentary on Mk 7:31-37
 
Returning from his encounter with the Syrophoenician woman, the Lord now heals the deaf mute. This action, especially the wording of the final quote; (“He has done all things well, he makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.”) which is a paraphrase from Isaiah 35:5-6, demonstrates the fulfillment of prophecy.
 
The Lord’s actions are sacramental in nature. That is they accomplish what they signify. As the Lord takes the man aside, he puts his fingers into the man’s mouth and ears. He then sighs or groans looking heavenward, demonstrating his intimate relationship to the father rather than in prayer, and says, “ephphetha!” or “be opened.
 
This passage has two unusual characteristics. First, the Lord takes the man aside, in private, implying something private was offered by the Messiah. Next, after his cure was affected he tells the man not to tell anyone but not only does the man continue to do so but proclaims it. We are given the feel that the event taking place is special in revelation, a new creation (cf Genesis 1:31).
 
CCC: Mk 7:32-36 1504; Mk 7:33-35 1151
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homily:
 
When I was seven or eight years old, my family moved from Gaylord, Michigan to Three Rivers, Michigan. Taking advantage of the benefits that come with being part of a larger town, I embarked upon my short and un-illustrious career in Baseball.  You see, Three Rivers had a “Little League” program.  I was small for my age and in spite of my father’s best efforts, I was always afraid of being hit by a pitched ball.  As a consequence my batting stance was hunched over, making the “strike zone” as small as possible and, once the ball was in the air, my eyes were generally closed, as if in prayer (which may have been somewhat prophetic).  Oh, once in a while I would take a flailing attempt at hitting the ball, more out of self-defense than any athletic exercise.  I may have even connected once in a while, surprising everyone, myself included. 
 
Then one day, I think I was about ten or eleven came the day when I opened my eyes while I was in the batter’s box and realized I could see the ball coming and actually swing at it with accuracy.  It was remarkable; I literally could not believe my eyes.  I had the most prodigious day of my young life, hitting two doubles and a triple.  I still believe my father does not think I really did that.  He would come to all of the games I played in but this one was during working hours so he was not there.  Also, it was the last game I ever played in.  We moved shortly after to Adrian, Michigan and I never played organized baseball again.  But that one game is burned into my memory. 
 
I can still see, in my mind’s eye, that ball coming toward me, like it was frozen in time.  And whenever I read the passage we just heard from Gospel from St. Mark, I remember that day.  For me it was “Ephphatha!”
 
Although we will probably not remember it, the first time the word “Ephphatha” was used in our hearing was at our own Baptism.  There is a wonderful little prayer said by the celebrant toward the end of the Baptismal rite.  While touching the ears and lips of the one being baptized he prays:
 
“The Lord Jesus made the deaf to hear and the mute to speak.  May he soon touch your ears to receive his word and your lips to proclaim his faith, to the praise and Glory of God the Father.  Amen.”
 
It is a gift – the Ephphatha; a profound change in character resulting from the infusion of the Holy Spirit which takes place in the Baptismal bath.
 
Since I mention this gift and since I already told one little anecdote from my childhood, I’ll tell one more.  When I was in middle school, my grandmother, whom I loved dearly, gave me a sweater for Christmas one year (in spite of the fact that she had two sons of her own and should have known better.) I promptly put it in a drawer and forgot about it until the next winter when I needed a sweater for sledding and, since it would be covered up by my coat anyway, I didn’t need to worry about my friends making fun of the reindeer that pranced around the waist.  To my amazement, the sweater no longer fit and it had holes in it (moths – for the younger set it was made of wool, a natural fabric made from the hair of sheep and moth larvae eat it) and was useless.  Gifts can be like that.  If they are not used they can end up like an ill-fitting, wholly sweater.
 
Unfortunately, for many of us, the life of faith is like my early career in “Little League”.  We go through our daily lives with our eyes closed because we fear that if we open them, we might see the danger we are in rather than opening our eyes and using the gift of light God gave us.  Even worse – it is like texting while driving; there is a good chance we will not look up until it’s too late.
 
That is what the gift of the Lord really is; it means literally “Be open”.  It is the gift of sight, not in the sense of physical vision, but rather the ability to see things in the way God wants them to be.  It is the ability to understand, with the light of God’s wisdom, how we must act if we are to enjoy and be at peace with the life with which he endowed us.
 
He commands us: Be Open! – see that forgiveness leads to peace and holding on to injury or hatred only leads to more pain.
 
He commands us: Be Open! – see that thinking only of our own comfort and well-being will not bring us happiness and that sharing our gifts with those who are less fortunate will bring us joy.
 
He commands us: Be Open! – see clearly the wisdom of God’s natural law and the folly and selfishness denying life to others at all stages of the life God gives them.
 
Part of the gift of the Ephphatha is that in opening our lips to God’s glory (not our own) we pass on the gift that was given to us.  Our openness with God’s truth, in words and actions, let’s others glimpse the light as well.  Revealing the Lord’s truth opens the eyes of others and has the power to transform the world.
 
In the Ephphatha we open our eyes and ears to see with Christ’s own eyes what we may offer the world and how to enjoy the peace offered by our heavenly Father. Knowing the mind of Christ in sacred scripture will allow us to feel the true meaning of how the Lord was seen after he cured the deaf mute, fulfilling the prophecy of Isaiah the prophet.  Those who saw him exclaimed He has done all things well. He makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.” May we be graced to hear those words from others to the greater glory of our Heavenly Father.
 
Pax


[1] Catechism links are taken from the Homiletic Directory, Published by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, 29 June 2014
[3] The picture is “Jesus Heals the Deaf Man” by Alexandre Bida, 1850’s

No comments: