Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday of the Seventh Week of Easter


Readings for Thursday of the Seventh Week of Easter[1][2]
Readings from the Jerusalem Bible

Readings and Commentary:
[3]

Reading 1:
Acts 22:30; 23:6-11

Wishing to determine the truth
about why Paul was being accused by the Jews,
the commander freed him
and ordered the chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin to convene.
Then he brought Paul down and made him stand before them.

Paul was aware that some were Sadducees and some Pharisees,
so he called out before the Sanhedrin,
"My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of Pharisees;
I am on trial for hope in the resurrection of the dead."
When he said this,
a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and Sadducees,
and the group became divided.
For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection
or angels or spirits,
while the Pharisees acknowledge all three.
A great uproar occurred,
and some scribes belonging to the Pharisee party
stood up and sharply argued,
"We find nothing wrong with this man.
Suppose a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?"
The dispute was so serious that the commander,
afraid that Paul would be torn to pieces by them,
ordered his troops to go down and rescue Paul from their midst
and take him into the compound.
The following night the Lord stood by him and said, "Take courage.
For just as you have borne witness to my cause in Jerusalem,
so you must also bear witness in Rome."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Acts 22:30; 23:6-11

In this passage about Paul’s return to Jerusalem, the Apostle has been recognized as the one who is converting many outside Jerusalem to the “Way” and the Jews are furious. A riot has broken out in the Temple precincts (Paul takes a beating) and he is taken into custody by the Romans (probably saving his life).

The Centurion, learning that Paul is a citizen of Rome, allows him to speak to the Sanhedrin which is what we hear today. He has just recounted his conversion story to them and now fuels an argument between the Sadducees and Pharisees over the concept to the resurrection which the Pharisees believe in and the Sadducees deny. A second time Paul is rescued from Jewish violence by the Romans and then hears from Jesus that he will be sent to Rome to bear witness there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Responsorial Psalm:
Psalm 16:1-2a and 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11

R. (1) Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge;
I say to the LORD, "My Lord are you."
O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you it is who hold fast my lot.
R. Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
or:
R. Alleluia.
I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.
R. Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices,
my body, too, abides in confidence;
Because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world,
nor will you suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption.
R. Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
or:
R. Alleluia.
You will show me the path to life,
fullness of joys in your presence,
the delights at your right hand forever.
R. Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Ps 16:1-2a and 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11

Psalm 16 is an individual hymn of praise. The psalmist prays that God will shield the faithful from harm and expresses confidence in the Lord’s salvation; closing the passage with praise for God’s loving mercy. This selection seems to resonate with the emotions St. Paul must feel as he undergoes physical and mental abuse in the story above. He remains faithful in the face of persecution and accepting as he is sent on yet another journey.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gospel:
John 17:20-26

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying:
"I pray not only for these,
but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one,
as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
that they also may be in us,
that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me,
so that they may be one, as we are one,
I in them and you in me,
that they may be brought to perfection as one,
that the world may know that you sent me,
and that you loved them even as you loved me.
Father, they are your gift to me.
I wish that where I am they also may be with me,
that they may see my glory that you gave me,
because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Righteous Father, the world also does not know you,
but I know you, and they know that you sent me.
I made known to them your name and I will make it known,
that the love with which you loved me
may be in them and I in them."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Jn 17:20-26

Here is the final part of the “High Priestly Prayer” from the Lord’s final discourse. In this selection we are linked with the disciples as Jesus says; “…but also for those who will believe in me through their word”. Again the theme of unity between the Father, and the Son, and his followers is emphasized and brought to a conclusion with “…that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection:

It is a pretty natural feeling to feel defensive when our beliefs are attacked or criticized. In confrontation about the values we find central to our faith it is also natural that our strong feelings can lead us to be exclusionary or elitist; thinking that we are somehow better or more informed than our brothers and sisters who do not share our beliefs and traditions. These feelings can become obstacles to the very issue Jesus prayed about and for which St. Paul put his life at risk, unity in the faith.

How, one might ask, can we work toward unity without challenging those who deny the truth of our Christian faith? If we don’t correct them, are we not neglecting our own call to be heralds of the truth as Christ commanded?

To answer these questions we look as we should always look, to Jesus example. There are some human attributes that gave the Lord great power in effectively communicating his “Good News” to those he encountered. The first of these attributes was humility. The Lord always approached the people he loved with a sense of admiration for the Father’s creative force. That is he saw each person he met as precious (including those who hated him and wished him harm). In his intense love for them, he did not place himself in authority over them. He did not tell them – “Listen, if you don’t do as I tell you and believe as I tell you, I will curse you and condemn you to eternal damnation!” Rather he invited them. Above their abusive comments he reached out to them in love. Even in St. John’s Gospel of theology, his most abrasive statement was “If you do not believe… you have condemned yourselves.” And this statement was likely tinged with sorrow, as one might fill sorrow for the person who out of fear rejected a cure for some physical illness.

As we look at the Lord’s invitation to those who rejected him we see he consistently avoids a trap that we often fall into when attempting to use this same approach in dealing with those who reject or berate the faith. He is never condescending nor does he express his pity for those who cannot understand in a demeaning way. Jesus’ intense love for each person insures that his interactions always respect that person’s outlook and perspective. We must find that attitude in ourselves if we are to be effective in inviting others to share the faith which leads to salvation.

The final element or attribute that makes Jesus such an effective evangelist for the Father is exactly what we see in the Gospel passage proclaimed today. Jesus is a person of prayer. He is united to the Father, even as true man, in prayer. He is constantly communing with God, insuring that his course is in accordance with the Father’s wishes. Today that prayer expresses his hope that all of God’s creation might be united in faith so that “…where I am they also may be with me”. May we follow his example and proceed according to his wishes inviting those we meet to join us in praising God and giving glory to his Holy Name.

Pax

[1] ALTRE
[2] The picture used is “Prayer on the Mount of Olives” by Hans Multscher, 1437
[3] Text of Readings is taken from the New American Bible, Copyright © Libreria Editrice Vaticana, Excerpts from the English translation of The Roman Missal © 1973, International Committee on English in the Liturgy, Inc. All rights reserved.

No comments: